motor buzzing and not turning the drum
Before I started the repair, I found the dryer nonoperative. The motor would just buzz. Being that the dryer is 19 years old I figured the bearings seized up. I pulled the small back access panel, took off the belt from the tensioner. And tried to turn the motor shaft. It wasnt budging. So, before ordering parts, I took the dryer apart, to make sure the rest of the dryer was ok. With a flat head screw driver, I popped the two clips that hold the top to the front of the dryer. Then I laid the top against the wall(its sorta hinged at the back). Then undid to screws, one on each side, where the front attaches to both sides. Then, undid the wiring to the door closed switch, and cut the ziptie to get the wires out of the way. Then, I just pulled up the front a lil, to get it off the side clips, and laid it flat on the ground to undo the clips at the bottom. The upper drum guide was shot, so i knew i needed another one of those. The drum, came out easy. A quick firm tug of the belt upwards unseated the spindle from the bushing in the back, and the drum came out threw the front of the dryer. The belt was ok, but, being so old I figured i might as well replace it. The motor was down at the bottom. One half circular clip holds the back bearing in place, you pop that from the left hand side. One the back of the blower housing is a plastic slider pieced that snugs up against the front motor bearing. Pull that up and out. The blower wheel is left hand threads,(theres an arrow showing direction for off) so make sure you turn the ratchet the correct way Its either a 7/8 or 22 mm, I just used used a 22 mm(its all i had handy) with a extension(and a pair of plyers to hold the other end of the shaft). Youll have to move the motor backwards while unscrewing the blower wheel because there isnt much room in the housing. Once thats detached(you leave the blower wheel in the housing) I unplugged the motor, and lifted it out. There bearings were seized bad. So i ordered a motor, belt and upper drum guide. While waiting, I cleaned ALL the lint buildup inside the dryer.The parts came within 3 days. First i scrapped off the old upper drum guide from the front piece, and glued the new one in. I also used clothes pin sorta clips to to hold it in place while it dried. I let it dry overnight. The following day, i put the motor back in, getting the shaft inside the blower wheel, and turning the wheel on the shaft while positioning the motor where its suppose to sit. Then tightened up the blower wheel with the 22mm socket. It doesnt need to be super tight. You'll have to hold the other end of the motor shaft while tighting it up with a pair a plyers. Then plugged the plug bck into the motor. Once that was done, i took the old belt off the drum, and put the new one on. Make sure the ribs on the belt are facing the same way as the old one. Then it was pretty straight forward really, put the drum back in(i greased up the spindle that sits inside that bushing/bracket). Seated the spindle in the bushing. Put the front panel back on.in reverse order,laid the top back down and seated it to the clips sticking up from the front panel.Then, got into the access panel, and put the belt back on the motor, and tensioner. then put the access cover back on Then it was done and ready to test. Plugged it back into the wall, hooked the duct work back up, and viola, she runs and purrs like a kitten, good as new!